Hair loss is a problem faced by people irrespective of their age and other factors that play contributing roles in their lives. The clinical term for hair loss is alopecia, which is one of the commonest problems of millions of people across the world. Usually, for a healthy person, it is natural to lose 50-100 hairs every day which again grows naturally. But if the loss of hair increases in number and regularity it should be treated as hair loss problem and should be treated at the earliest. Usually, the lifespan of a hair strand is from three to six years. If a person is suffering from alopecia the hair fall is not replaced by the rebirth of new hair strands.
Reasons for hair loss
There are a few reasons for which people suffer from abnormal hair loss. At times hair loss is a temporary problem while it can be a permanent problem due to some factors:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause
- Poor blood circulation in the scalp and dandruff
- Lack of microelements in diet
- Thyroid, cancer, stress, anemia and other autoimmune diseases. Also skin problems as psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Hereditary baldness
Symptoms of hair loss
- A cluster of hair coming out while shampooing.
- Lose hair is found on the pillow while you wake up from sleep.
- For men, when the hairline recedes from your forehead or the crown of your head. For women when the parting of your hair becomes wider revealing a maximum of your scalp.
- While combing your hair, it comes out in more than the normal amount.
- However, if hair fall begins suddenly, it is due to some underlying medical condition and needs to be treated immediately.
Home remedies for preventing hair loss
- For prevention of hair loss, the foremost thing to be done is to strive for a healthy lifestyle. It can be achieved by regular exercise, reduction of stress, balanced diet and less exposure to pollution.
- Make sure your platter is replete with Protein, Vitamins A, B, C and minerals like Iron, Sulphur, Copper, Zinc, and Silica. Avoid junk food and add fresh fruits and vegetables with fibers in your diet. For animal protein dairy products, fish and meat is a recommended option.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking at least 8-20 glasses of water every day. It can be substituted with fruit juices or smoothies made from fruits and vegetables.
- There are various products that you can avail within your reach and they work wonderfully to prevent hair loss. These are- aloe Vera, coconut milk, Neem (both juice and paste), curd and egg white pack, fenugreek, hibiscus petals, honey and onion mixture and amla-shikakai paste.
- Hot oil massage before shampooing is an effective home remedy for preventing hair loss. It increases your blood circulation on the scalp which provides nourishment to your hair strands.
- Avoid using a blow dryer for drying up your hair in a jiffy. Instead, keep sufficient in your hands for letting your dry up naturally. Also, avoid using chemicals for trying out newest trends and keep your hair clean regularly. Remember, healthy natural hair is a person’s greatest embellishment.